Painshill Park is a magnificent Grade 1 listed eighteenth century Georgian Landscape, created in the emerging naturalistic style; it was recognised at the time as one of the first and best-known landscape gardens in Europe, rivalling its contemporaries such as Stourhead and Stowe. It is an outstanding example of the artistic vision of one man (Charles Hamilton), blending the skilful use of plants with architecture. Today, Painshill is a highly popular visitor attraction with influence both at home and abroad.
After a long and successful tenure, the Chief Executive is stepping down and Painshill is embarking on a period of transition and development providing this exciting opportunity for the role of Director.
The role of Director
The Trustees are seeking an enthusiastic, experienced, inspiring, forward and strategically thinking individual to become its new Director at this exciting time of change and development at Painshill.
The post holder will work within an experienced and successful team and will be able to draw upon the support and synergy of a Senior Management Team and Board of Trustees.
Main responsibilities for this role include:
• Successfully working alongside the Board of Trustees to secure significant funding. Essential work is needed to ensure the long term financial viability and survival of Painshill for posterity. This requires excellent business and financial acumen.
• Ensuring that the Trust operates legally and consistently within the requirements of the Charity Commission, Companies House, and all current health and safety legislation.
• Providing excellent and supportive leadership for the Senior Management Team and for the organisation as a whole and contributing to the vision and delivery of Painshill’s objectives, mission, and vision.
• Developing and maintaining good working relationships with the Trust’s funders, membership groups, volunteers, supporters, strategic partners and relevant regulatory bodies.
• Being accountable for overall financial management, working with the Head of Finance and Trustees to set and monitor throughout the year, the Trust’s annual budget and key performance indicators.
• Developing the talents and skills of Painshill’s staff.
• Holding overall responsibility for the award and management of service, support contracts.
• Negotiating with Statutory bodies on Planning and Restoration matters.
• The ability to net-work and communicate effectively with key influencers in the field.
Qualifications, skills and experience
The successful applicant should ideally have extensive experience leading a UK or international heritage organisation, business, charity or cultural institution and should have recognised skills in moving an organisation forward strategically in areas of brand, marketing, net-working and visitor development.
We are looking for someone with significant experience of core cost and capital fundraising and who understands the challenges and opportunities faced by today’s funding climate. The successful candidate should have an understanding and appreciation of the contribution of Painshill to the development of the English Landscape Garden and be willing to reflect the future ambitions of Painshill in delivering ambitious new activity onsite and through local, national and international partnerships. They must have excellent communication skills, charisma, drive and the determination necessary to spearhead organisational growth and change.
The role of Director is an exciting and broad role, demanding energy, enthusiasm and the ability to contribute to the development of a key organisation. The successful candidate will have proven experience within a comparative organisation or will be able to demonstrate how their current experience supports their ability to move into this position effectively.
The successful candidate, using their Leadership skills, and their grasp of organisational governance, will lead the organisation forward through its next phase of development. Furthermore they will have the skill and capacity to diversify funding and increase the sustainable position of the organisation.
You will be proactive, motivated and enthusiastic and have the adaptability and skills to take on this varied and demanding role. This role requires a self-motivated individual with extensive knowledge and experience of delivering high quality, sustainable, activities and programmes.
To apply: Please submit a comprehensive CV together with a covering letter explaining why you are interested in the position and how you match the essential experience criteria.
Applications should be emailed to email@example.com or sent by post to:
Marie, Lady Alexander of Weedon
Chairwoman of Painshill Park Trust Ltd
Application closing date: 7th August 2017
First Interviews: Thursday 7th September 2017
Second Interviews: Tuesday 12th September 2017